Sheep Ot Goats?

I would love any advice any of you have to offer. My grandpap didn’t have sheep or goats on the farm and my friend in Ohio has none on hers so I know nothing about either. Yrying to decide which I should get.

6 Comments

1. Kenneth T. says:

Goats are easier to maintain and are great for foliage control. Ticks don’t bother them either.
    Sheep have to have a special diet as they can not digest copper and that causes them issues. Sheep also need to be sheared often enough.
    I have both (6 goats, and 1 sheep) so I know a thing or two. The sheep were my wife’s idea, the goats are all mine.

Liked by 1 person

1. Gypsy Witch Creations & Psychic Services says:

Ok. That answered my question. Thank you!

2. Kenneth T. says:

Sheep are very social -never have just one (I had 8 at one time). Oh yeah – goats are pretty destructive. The first house I had for them was made of wood – the second (learned from my mistake) was concrete blocking at the bottom 3 feet, much more durable (and they didn’t eat it)

Liked by 1 person

1. Kenneth T. says:

I can get away with one sheep now because I also have goats, so loneliness is no longer an issue… I guess?

Liked by 1 person

2. Gypsy Witch Creations & Psychic Services says:

Thanks for sharing your experience. In your opinion, would a beginner be better off
      starting with sheep?

1. Kenneth T. says:

Everyone has to be a beginner at some point. LoL
        Case in point: my wife was a beginner some 40+ years ago when she started showing (4H) sheep.
        She saw that I had goats when we married, she wanted sheep… so we then got them. I would rather not have the sheep. We never did anything with the wool (processing it is a whole lotta work).
        I have two (partially wooded) acres, so goats worked out best for me.
        As you plan on working the wool, sheep might just be your best option.
        Keeping them clean and feeding them right are the best tips I can offer.